HEALTH INFORMATION RIGHTS
Unless otherwise required by law, your health record is the physical property of the healthcare practitioner or facility that compiled it. However, you have certain rights with respect to the information. You have the right to:
• Receive a copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices from us upon delivery of services, enrollment in our International Life Flight membership program, or upon request.
• Request restrictions on our uses and disclosures of your protected health information for treatment, payment and health care operations. However, we reserve the right not to agree to the requested restriction.
• Request to receive communications of protected health information in confidence.
• Inspect and obtain a copy of the protected health information contained in your medical and billing records and in any other records used by us to make decisions about you. A reasonable copying charge may apply.
• Request an amendment to your protected health information. However, we may deny your request for an amendment, if we determine that the protected health information or record that is the subject of the request:
• was not created by us, unless you provide a reasonable basis to believe that the originator of the protected health information is no longer available to act on the requested amendment;
• is not part of your medical or billing records;
• is not available for inspection as set forth above; or
• is accurate and complete.
In any event, any agreed upon amendment will be included as an addition to, and not a replacement of, already existing records.
• Receive an accounting of disclosures of protected health information made by us to individuals or entities other than to you, except for disclosures:
• to carry out treatment, payment and health care operations as provided above;
• to persons involved in your care or for notification purposes as provided by law;
• to correctional institutions or law enforcement officials as provided by law;
• for national security or intelligence purposes;
• that occurred prior to the date of compliance with privacy standards;
• incidental to other permissible uses or disclosures;
• that are part of a limited data set;
• made to patient or their personal representatives;
• for which a written authorization form from the patient has been received
• revoke your authorization to use or disclose health information except to the extent that we have already been taken action in reliance on your authorization, or if the authorization was obtained as a condition of obtaining insurance coverage and other applicable law provides the insurer that obtained the authorization with the right to contest a claim under the policy.
HOW YOUR MEDICAL INFORMATION MAY BE USED/DISCLOSED
Treatment: We may use and disclose protected health information in the provision, coordination, or management of your transportation and care, including consultations between health care providers regarding your care and referrals for care from one care or transportation provider to another.
Payment: We may use and disclose protected health information to obtain reimbursement for services or care provided to you, including determinations of eligibility and coverage and utilization review activities.
Regular Healthcare Operations: We may use and disclose protected information to support functions of our air ambulance service and practice related to treatment and payment, such as quality assurance activities, case management, receiving and responding to patient complaints, physician reviews, compliance programs, audits, business planning, development, management and administrative activities.
Individuals Involved in Your Care or Payment for Your Care: Unless you object, we may disclose your protected health information to your family or friends or any other individual identified by you when they are involved in your transport or care or the payment for our services. We will only disclose the protected health information directly relevant to their involvement in your care or payment. We may also disclose your protected health information to notify a person responsible for your care (or to identify such person) of your location, general condition or death.
Business Associates: There may be some services provided by our organization through contracts with Business Associates. Examples include aviation services, medical services, laboratory tests, and a copy service we use when making copies of your health record. When these services are contracted, we may disclose some or all of your health information to our Business Associate so that they can perform the job we have asked them to do. To protect your health information, however, we require the Business Associate to appropriately safeguard your information.
Worker’s Compensation: We may release protected health information about you for programs that provide benefits for work related injuries or illness.
Communicable Diseases: We may disclose protected health information to notify a person who may have been exposed to a disease or may be at risk for contracting or spreading a disease or condition.
Health Oversight Activities: We may disclose protected health information to federal or state agencies that oversee our activities.
Law Enforcement: We may disclose protected health information as required by law or in response to a valid judge ordered subpoena. For example in cases of victims of abuse or domestic violence; to identify or locate a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person; related to judicial or administrative proceedings; or related to other law enforcement purposes.
Military and Veterans: If you are a member of the armed forces, we may release protected health information about you as required by military command authorities.
Lawsuits and Disputes: We may disclose protected health information about you in response to a court or administrative order. We may also disclose medical information about you in response to a subpoena, discovery request, or other lawful process.
Inmates: If you are an inmate of a correctional institution or under the custody of a law enforcement official, we may release protected health information about you to the correctional institution or law enforcement official. An inmate does not have the right to the Notice of Privacy Practices.
Abuse or Neglect: We may disclose protected health information to notify the appropriate government authority if we believe a patient has been the victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence. We will only make this disclosure if you agree or when required or authorized by law.
Coroners, Medical Examiners, and Funeral Directors: We may release protected health information to a coroner or medical examiner. This may be necessary to identify a deceased person or determine the cause of death. We may also release protected health information about patients to funeral directors as necessary to carry out their duties.
Public Health Risks: We may disclose your protected health information for public health activities and purposes to a public health authority that is permitted by law to collect or receive the information. The disclosure will be made for the purpose such as controlling disease, injury or disability.
Threats: As permitted by applicable law and standards of ethical conduct, we may use and disclose protected health information if we, in good faith, believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of a person or the public.
FAA: As required by law, we may disclose to the FAA information relative to our air ambulance services and/or health care provided concomitant to such services.
Research (inpatient): We may disclose information to researchers when an institutional review board that has reviewed the research proposal and established protocols to ensure the privacy of your health information has approved their research.
We are required to maintain the privacy of your health information. In addition, we are required to provide you with a notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to information we collect and maintain about you. We must abide by the terms of this notice. We reserve the right to change our practices and to make the new provisions effective for all the protected health information we maintain. If our information practices change, a revised notice will be mailed to the address you have supplied upon request. If we maintain a Web site that provides information about our patient/customer services or benefits, the new notice will be posted on that Web site. Your health information will not be used or disclosed without your written authorization, except as described in this notice. Except as noted above, you may revoke your authorization in writing at any time.
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REPORT A PROBLEM
If you have questions about this notice or would like additional information, you may contact our Corporate Risk Manager, Tom Kelley, Esq., at the telephone or address below.
International Life Flight
Mr. Tom Kelley, Esq.
2710 E. Old Tower Road
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 777-2001